Following an increase in thefts from vehicles, including one that we know of in Oxhey Village earlier this week, a message from Neighbourhood Watch…
We are issuing advice to drivers after a rise in the number of thefts of items left inside vehicles across the county.
In particular the theft of power tools left in work vans overnight has been on the increase in recent weeks. However, any items of valuable left in an unattended vehicle could entice a criminal into breaking into it.
These are some other steps you can take to keep your valuables secure:
- Don’t leave anything valuable in your vehicle when it’s unattended.
- If you have to leave tools in your van overnight ensure it is locked and secure and invest in an extra external lock and a tool safe to go in your van.
- Ensure that all tools are clearly permanently marked with your postcode, as this can act as a deterrent to would-be thieves. Engraving or weld marking, ultraviolet paint or painted in bright colours may make them less attractive to steal.
- It might sound obvious, but make sure you lock the doors and shut the windows and sunroof whenever you leave your vehicle unattended.
- Remove your Sat Nav and its holder, and wipe away any suction marks as these could suggest to a potential thief that a Sat Nav is stored in your vehicle.
- Never leave any valuables in your vehicle – not even in the glove-box or boot – and keep ALL other possessions out of sight. Even if you know that there is nothing valuable in your coat pocket or bag left on the back seat, a thief may try their luck.
- Use an approved steering lock or gear clamp, and remember to set your immobiliser and alarm if you have them.
- Register your stereo, laptop, Sat Nav, tools and any other property on the free online property database www.immobilise.com. It only takes a few minutes and could help police trace your property if it’s lost or stolen.
For more advice on vehicle security or for general crime prevention advice visit the crime prevention pages at www.herts.police.uk.
If you need to reply regarding this message, click on this email address: email@example.com